What can we do while staying at Roma del Mar?
Things you can do:
- Boat trips to Isla Tortuga: enjoy a day at the famous white sand beach of this island and do some great snorkeling!
- Have a relaxing massage, pedicure or manicure at your villa
- Best Canopy Tours in Costa Rica, we arrange a super fun day with 1h horseback riding, zip-line & lunch.
- Day trips to Montezuma: 1.5-2 hours drive to this neat little town where you can swim in a beautiful sweet water pond under the famous waterfall. After the trekking enjoy the local restaurants and bars. Great souvenir shopping! Another 30 min. drive and hit the surf of Mal Pais & Santa Teresa.
- Day trips to Samara: 1. 5-2 hours drive to the beach town on the Pacific. Check out great beaches: Samara, Playa Carillo, Buena Vista & Playa Barrigona
- Day trips to Playa Conchal & Tamarindo
- You can ride our own 3 horses and explore the surroundings of Roma del Mar (but at your own risk!!)
- Want to do a movie night? We have plenty of DVDs to borrow.
- Forgot to bring some books? No problem, we have plenty of books in German & English.
- Tired of cooking? Get a cook/ maid/ babysitter
- Tired of driving? Get a driver…he can do tours and shows you around.
Can I bring my boat to Roma del Mar?
Yes, you are welcome to bring your boat; we have buoys available if you want to anchor your boat. Roma del Mar has a jetty and a floating dock to reach your boat or just to fish from.
How many lots are available?
Roma del Mar has a size of 150 acres with approx. 100 lots; half of it is titled land, half is Maritime zone.
What is your climate there (temperature) compared to the northern area and Jaco area?
Around 30 degrees celsius and similar to climate of northern area and a lot less humid than Jaco.
How is water provided?
The water comes from a well within the Roma del Mar development.
Is it safe to let it be vacant for weeks?
Yes, all villas have a security systems and the community is guarded.
Can I rent?
Yes, many of the villas are for rent.
Does your re-bar come on the truck bent, thus requiring that it be re-straightened, or does it come straight and unbent
All re-bar comes here straight and is all bent onsite.
Do you pour your concrete monolithically or in small batches?
We use blocks, steel, and all concrete is mixed in small batches.
How do you guarantee the quality of the construction?
An engineer supervises the construction and inspects quality every week – we construct according to the Costa Rican construction laws and use the highest California standard for earthquakes; using only the highest quality materials.
What is the process of purchasing a lot and house in Roma del Mar?
The purchasing process is as follows:
every single lot is registered in a Costa Rican company (“Sociedad Anonima”) and we sell you the stock of the company and change the board of directors of the company into your name (this method is widely used in Costa Rica and saves a lot of money for transfer fees);
Initial down payment of 10%, all further payments following to the construction schedule in 6 partial payments (time frame is approx. 6 months); the lot is already in your name, so is all construction conducted!
final payment of the villa is due when buyer takes possession of the villa
Your lawyer will check over all the papers for the plan of the lot and the company; before initial payment he or she can check at the National Register of Costa Rica, if there are any mortgages etc. on the property.
How do you get from Jaco to Roma del Mar?
The closest way from Jaco is taking the ferry from Puntarenas to Playa Naranjo (see above). When coming off the ferry, you turn left onto road to Paquera (turn left at first crossroads, the gas station is located at right hand side). After 1,5 miles there is a little village called Bajos Negros. You will see a big sign for Playa Blanca and Roma del Mar, please take a left and turn left again after 500 m into the big entrance with the Colums. Follow the street – right after the guard house you see our new reception.
Is there Internet access there? Is it dial-up or broadband?
We have high speed Internet in all Villas!
What else is in that area? Any local eateries?
Besides our new restaurant Aroma del Mar, there are some restaurants close by, but everything still low key as this area is not one of the big tourism places of Costa Rica– just come and check it out yourself!
How far is it to the next hospital?
The next doctor (English speaking) and clinic is in Jicaral (20 minutes); the next hospital is in Nicoya (1 hour drive) or Puntarenas (30 min by boat). Since August 2010 we have a “Roma del Mar Clinic” – First Aid supplies and a number of medications will be available to the residents and renters. Several villa owners are doctors and offer medical help if needed while they are at Roma del Mar. If they are not there, we can call or email and get medical advice any time.
How close are you to a bank and store where you can buy food?
20 minutes drive to the next little town Jicaral where you can shop for groceries etc. Another option is Puntarenas (by ferry).
Is their a recuring charge for the property?
We charge $95 per month for water, security, maintenance, waste management, use of all common areas etc.; electricity/ telephone depending on usage; Pool and garden service depending on size and service time.
Are there any beaches close to the property and if so how far?
The villas are located within the Roma del Mar development which has 5 beaches and are mainly 200 meters from the beach.
Directions from San José Airport to Roma del Mar
Follow signs to San Ramon –> Puntarenas on the Panamerican Highway #1
Another option is the new Highway Ciudad Colon to Caldera. Both are getting you into Puntarenas.
There drive straight through town; always follow the main road to the absolute end of it;
turn right where you see a soccer field on the right hand side and a orange painted bar.
Go straight, after 2 blocks on right corner (green and blue building) is the ferry ticket booth,
where they sell tickets for both ferries (one goes to Paquera, one to Playa Naranjo);
please buy ticket to Playa Naranjo on the right hand side of the ticket booth;
it is 10 Dollars for a car and approx. $1,50 per person (passengers have to walk on ferry)
Ferry schedule from
Puntarenas to Playa Naranjo:
6:30am, 10am, 2:30 pm, 7:30pm;
Playa Naranjo to Puntarenas:
8am, 12:30pm, 5:30pm, 9pm;
In Playa Naranjo get off the ferry, take the first turn left and follow signs to Roma del Mar
or give us a call and we pick you up at the ferry terminal.
Attention! Buy tickets for ferry ONLY at ticket booth!! There are people offering tickets,
but these guys are not working for the ferry and ask for too much money for the tickets.
Cost per ticket: $10 per car and $1,50 per person.
What is the travel time from San Jose to Roma Del Mar?
From the international airport San José to Puntarenas approx. 1.30 hour;
then a trip on the ferry to Playa Naranjo (1.15 hour);
from the ferry terminal in Playa Naranjo to the Roma del Mar project 10 minutes drive.
Another option is the airport in Liberia, which is on the Penninsula of Nicoya;
from there it takes 2 hours.
Advantage: you do not depend on ferry schedule and there is very little traffic.
How much are the lots?
We are offering the lots as a package with the villa:
- 3 bedroom, 3 bathrooms with Jacuzzi (approx.5,400 sqft. Total living area)
- 2 car carport or garage, private pool, terraces and landscaping
- The sizes of the lot vary depending on our clients and are between ½ and ¾ of an acre, as we are doing the lots depending of the topography of the land.
- Kitchen with natural granite countertop & kitchen furniture in teak wood; kitchen has American size fridge with icemaker (double door), gas cook top or electric oven, dishwasher, extractor, microwave, toaster, coffeemaker, washing machine, dryer;
- all villas with A/C and all rooms with fans & lamps
- inwall speakers & amplifier, DVD-player, LCD flat screen TV, security-system
- Furniture and decoration included
Is the Roma Del Mar development completed?
- No, we currently have 25 finished villas and 4 more constructions and we are starting more constructions in 2017. Ask about our new Duplexes!!